Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks so much for a great forum along with all the other Ducati forums! It's been great finally purchasing one after a long line of dirt and inline fours. I'm having some pre first service break in issues.

As my bike sits it currently has 187 miles and and ownership date
of June 2nd.

1. I'm experiencing the know cold start issue. I have read all about it and have had 3 cold starts with it take my 2 starts to fire each time since owning.

2. After filling up with fuel I turned the key to the on position and noticed the red oil light stayed on steady after all the other lights went off before pressing the ignition. I pressed the starter and the red oil light went off. No other lights or warning on the lcd were on. I shut it off and checked the oil level and it was in the level limits. It did it again so I rode it down the street home and no steady oil light or warning. Temp of bike was 210 degrees and battery while at idle was 13.0.

At this point I'm contacting the dealer. Bike runs great. Not understanding the red oil light on before starting bike. Not reading anything in the manual.

I attached an image of what I'm seeing after turning on ignition but
before starting. The red oil light disappears once started. I have not noticed this since now.

Thanks guys ahead of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm not remembering the light being on at key on position until this last ride, only the neutral, abs, and dtc lights.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Welcome to the party.

Make the manual a bathroom read so you can get that baseline familiarity...

Reactions: SONIDUCATI

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike is currently in shop and they are working with Ducati North America on the cold start issue. The spark plugs are being replaced today also. Ill keep you guys informed.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Bike is currently in shop and they are working with Ducati North America on the cold start issue. The spark plugs are being replaced today also. Ill keep you guys informed.
Good luck! Dealer replaced the charcoal canister on my 959 because of the cold start issue at about 4,000 miles. But now I'm experiencing it again (have about 5,400 miles currently). But if I turn the key on, then a couple minutes later turn it off, then turn it on a couple minutes later and wait a couple minutes then it starts up more reliably. Maybe worth a try if you keep experiencing this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's currently getting the charcoal canister replaced.

Going through a start up routine that
doesn't solve a problem. Not happy with
this and hopefully it gets resolved. Ducati
North America has been in contact with
me about this. I should have the bike back
today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's currently getting the charcoal canister replaced.

Going through a start up routine that
doesn't solve a problem. Not happy with
this and hopefully it gets resolved. Ducati
North America has been in contact with
me about this. I should have the bike back
today.
Let us know how it goes, Coleman. The known issue could fade temporarily but then reappear, even after a charcoal canister replacement, as is the case with @avigil. Some have suggested the removal altogether lessens the concerns, but this has been ongoing with the entire Panigale range, so the successor will likely be redesigned in this department to avoid this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will, I picked up the bike yesterday and will let you guys know if any problems occur. I didn't have any problems with Ducati North America and the dealer with this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Received bike from dealer on Thursday the 7th.
I have had a total of 4 cold starts since. 3 of the 4 cold starts were a failure.

Currently looking for a replacement for this bike. Not happy.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this... as I've yet to have a starting issue.

I would love to know what the fuel filter inside your fuel pump looks like. I wonder if the filter is clogged. It's a PITA to get to, you have to remove the pump from the tank, then remove the bottom cap off the pump (carefully). If someone is willing to take it apart, let's have a look! Or perhaps you can suggest to have your dealer do it...?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I have received the bike back from the dealer I have had 6 failed starts and 2 good starts.

Ducati North America called me today and explained to me the bike is acting as it should for starting.

Really??

I'm glad I didn't take it back to the dealer, I would have been stuck with the diagnostic/service bill and been told the same thing.

Currently for sale I may trade in.

How do I explain this to a potential next buyer?

Ducati is keeping my case open.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very disappointing. Feel bad for you this is unlucky. I thought I was going to have trouble starting once but it was because I lifted my finger off the start button too quickly and after that took a minute before it would start properly.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Since I have received the bike back from the dealer I have had 6 failed starts and 2 good starts...
Can you define a "failed start" please. In detail.

I find it extremely odd that you seem to have this issue but the dealer didn't after 3+ weeks of having the bike. How did the dealer give u the bike back if the problem was still happening?

I'm not trying to be an ***, just trying to figure out where the issue lies - because it is fixable without replacing the bike, for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By a failed start I mean it didn't take one push of the starter. It would start for a second and then cut out and I would have to restart it. Sometimes it would be 3 times. Sometimes it would just turn over and not start and then start my second time. There are plenty of threads on this across the Ducati boards.

I don't think you're being an ***.

The dealer had it for about two weeks. They reset the ECU, changed plugs and charcoal canister. It took about 2 weeks for all of this because they didn't have plugs and then didn't have the canister. The day they got in the canister and replaced it was the day they said it was completed so I picked it up. They probably should have kept it a few days.

Then again, why even have an issue like this to begin with?

Apparently I'll be getting another follow up call next week from Ducati North America. The call I received today was a telling me it's normal to start like this and then I was asked questions about my riding style and distance of trips.

The rep from Ducati asked about ambient temperature, what gear I'm riding in on the freeway and local streets along with speed which obviously can vary. He also asked how fast I've had it up to in first gear? Kinda like he was hoping for me to say 100, as if he was feeling me out like I've abused or neglected the bike.

i understand this can be remedied without replacing the whole bike but come on?

Thanks for the advice and raising questions about this.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I completely agree the dealer should've kept the bike for at least a day after they said it was completed. They couldn't have said it's fixed without keeping it for a day to see - after XX start attempts in X hours the bike started X times on the first try, etc...

I suggest you make Ducati North America take charge of the situation and set up a dealer who knows what they're doing to properly diagnose the issue. Don't accept it back unless they can say it started every time on the first or second try after so many attempts.

Unless of course you're parking the bike in an area that's building condensation inside the throttle bodies, or something to that nature - introducing a retardant of some sort...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I already tried to get Ducati North America to take charge of this situation. Ducati North America told me it's starting as it should. So taking it to a dealer to diagnose would put cost on me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts