Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 6000kms the time has come to think about replacing the OEM tyres. The Rosso Corsa's are very good, but I like to try new things now and then. Problem is tyre choice is limited due to the rear sizing and TC/ABS calibration.

However I have noticed Michelin make a Pilot Power SuperSportEvo, which is Michelin's equivalent to the Rossa Corsa in 180/60-17 and Iv'e read good things about it. Just wondering if anyone here has tried these and if so how good are they?

Im sticking to a Hypersport 50/50 tyre, so please dont post how good RoadSmart II's are :wink2:

Michelin Power SuperSport Evo - Tyre Reviews

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run power cup evo tires on my zx6r that's track only and I love them. My buddy put a set of power supersport evo tires on his track bike and they are great as well. I almost ordered a set because I'm planning on doing a few tds with my 959 but instead I got Pirelli supercorsa sp v2 because they were $70 less for the pair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Lazer - nice link you provided!

Based on that website, the Michelin seems to be worlds better than the stock Pirelli and are less expensive!
I think I might be somewhat of a Guinea Pig and give the Michelins a try! They're a pretty new tyre so we'll see.

The Rosso Corsa's have 14 odd more reviews dingo so that may skew the overall somewhat. High hopes though

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
As mentioned above, the Michelin Power SS Evo is a DOT race tire on par with the Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2. If you're looking for more 'dry' grip then that may be a viable option. If you're looking for longevity/milage, that's heading in the wrong direction. IMO, The stock Rossa Corsa is very hard to beat for wet / dry grip and longevity. Obviously there are longer lasting tires out there, but more dry grip always = higher wear rates, and vice-versa. It's all a matter of finding that perfect balance for your bike/riding style. Great thread! Always a fun topic as tire technology is ever-changing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As mentioned above, the Michelin Power SS Evo is a DOT race tire on par with the Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2. If you're looking for more 'dry' grip then that may be a viable option. If you're looking for longevity/milage, that's heading in the wrong direction. IMO, The stock Rossa Corsa is very hard to beat for wet / dry grip and longevity. Obviously there are longer lasting tires out there, but more dry grip always = higher wear rates, and vice-versa. It's all a matter of finding that perfect balance for your bike/riding style. Great thread! Always a fun topic as tire technology is ever-changing.
Yes Tyre talk does get me going :grin2:

Here at my dealer the Rosso Corsa's are $440 AUD a set and Power SS Evo's are $470 AUD. Not sure on the Supercorsa's, ill price them before I make a choice.

I know how good the stock tyres are, iv'e pushed them pretty hard and they haven't let go yet

I hear Rosso III's are coming in a 180/60 soon, but im not after more wet grip or longer life.

If I can have complete faith in my Tyres and get 6000ish kms of spirited riding out of a rear thats all I can ask for :wink2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
This tyre is the original. Just completed 4000km on them.
I pulled up for fuel and noticed this. Never seen them like this before after normal road riding conditions.
In Perth, I have Been quoted $540 AUD for a set of Rosso 111's which I'll be going for next.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I pulled up for fuel and noticed this. Never seen them like this before after normal road riding conditions.
In Perth, I have Been quoted $540 AUD for a set of Rosso 111's which I'll be going for next.
What tire pressure are you running? I'm no tire expert but I think they call that "hot tearing" from too low of tire pressure.

I've run mine through 4 track days and never seen wear/ tearing like yours. I run 35/35 on the street and ~26/29 on the track (both cold).

·
Registered
892 Posts
What ABS setting do you have set and how often do you use the rear brake?

Reactions: PAN959

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Wow! That looks like some sort of graining effect. Perhaps due to being so far down in the rubber depth coupled with wrong pressures, etc? From the direction of the tearing it appears to be happening under acceleration.

Reactions: PAN959

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for some feed back guys.

I'm running with 36/36 cold. The outside air temp was 20 deg C so the road temp wouldn't have been extreme at all. Maybe it had something to do with the type of road.
Interestingly, when I got my bike back from the dealer after the 1000km service, the rear tyre was set at 43 ! (Cold).
The bike was in 'race' mode. EBC:1, DTC:3, ABS:1.
During that particular ride I hardly used the brakes and I was pushing the bike hard but not vigorously.
Doesn't look like I'll get 6000km out of it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Diablo Rosso 111

Just had a new set of Diablo Rosso 111's put on.
Took the bike out and done a quick 200kms on em.
Nice and sticky:wink2: and hopefully I'll get a few more kilometers out of them compared to the OE tyres.
The rear has a lower profile 180/55.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Nice and sticky:wink2: and hopefully I'll get a few more kilometers out of them compared to the OE tyres.
It will be interesting to see what kind of wear you get with these. Please keep us posted. I'm at a little over 3000 miles and am on my third rear and second front. Keep in mind I don't mess around with dicey tires, so I may be changing out sooner than most would.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Dougo,
I changed out early. I had another 500km left on the rear and easily another 1000km left on the front. I'm the same as u, not prepared to take that risk just for an extra few kilometers. The tyre tec said I should be able to get approx 7000k out of them. If I want a bit more mileage then I would need to go for the Angels. (10'000-11'000kms)
I'll c how these go and maybe go for the Angels next.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Hi Dougo,
I changed out early. I had another 500km left on the rear and easily another 1000km left on the front. I'm the same as u, not prepared to take that risk just for an extra few kilometers. The tyre tec said I should be able to get approx 7000k out of them. If I want a bit more mileage then I would need to go for the Angels. (10'000-11'000kms)
I'll c how these go and maybe go for the Angels next.
I don't buy those milage estimates. Or at least I've never been able to get within even half of that. The most I ever got out of the Angels was about 2500 miles on my 01 Monster. I think the electronics do help with tire wear. Keep us posted for sure!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi

Is there any concern/issue with using a 180/55 instead of 180/60? I want to put on Angel GTs next, and they make a 180/55, but not a 180/60.

Stu

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi

Is there any concern/issue with using a 180/55 instead of 180/60? I want to put on Angel GTs next, and they make a 180/55, but not a 180/60.

Stu
HI Stu,
I was a bit surprised when the tyre tech told me he had a 180/55. I asked if he had a 190/55, which he did, but his recommendation was the 180/55 so I went with that. You can also get the Angel in a 180/55.
Just took the bike out for another ride yesterday, pushed it fairly hard on the cornering and those tyres performed very well.
No issues with the tyre size regarding affecting DTC.
I also changed my EBC setting to 3 so hopefully that will help take away extra wear on the rear tyre.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts