Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss owns a 2016 959. Purchased in the UK last year. He rode it on the Isle of Man and then watched the TT races last year. He loves the bike and now it has sentimental value because of his ride on the Isle.

I have contacted Ducati US and Ducati Italy. I have the list of parts that would need to be changed to make the bike US compliant - which would of course be more than the cost of the bike- AND from what I understand we would still need to pay ICI to approve the changes. The bike has obviously not been approved by EPA for import.

I have been working with the UK Ducati dealer and a Ducati dealer locally. I have explored importing the bike for race purposes (not going to happen as boss is not racing and not registered to do so), bringing it in for display purposes (great idea but according to EPA's process, ICI still needs to test and then approve bike being compliant = $$$), and the last idea which seems most likely - is having the bike broken down in the UK and then shipping as used parts to the US. Can't ship the engine to the US so would need to buy US engine. Then the question is if a US engine would fit on a UK bike with a different exhaust system. Working with US dealer on that question but they haven't been very helpful.

My boss is not happy that I haven't been able to 'crack the code' in getting his beloved bike to the US. I feel like I've exhausted all sources to do so (and then some!). Am turning now to all of you, experts in all things Ducati, for HELP. Someone on this Forum must have dealt with this before. Any and all info will be super appreciated!

- Cricket

· Registered
4 Posts
register it as a track bike then reregister it as a street bike

never gonna happen in some states though....like cali

in n dakota a different story probably

huge pain in the *** is what to expect and that's due to the vin # more than the bike specs

· Super Moderator
345 Posts
Back in the day people who race 125's would break the bike down and put them in suitcases. Then travel to Europe or wherever to race. If you want the bike here, breaking it down into parts is the best and fastest way. That means you will have to break down the engine also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.