Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a large amount of grease on my left side exhaust can, traced it back to the plastic guard under the front sprocket. I am not sure if that is supposed to be greased in case it makes contact with the chain or all of that gunk was from chain lube congealing and needs to be cleaned off. I removed a layer of excess but would love to hit it with a degreaser and got all of that crap outta there if not needed.

Another spot is the track around the top of swing arm close to the front sprocket, again it looks like it may be greased on purpose.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After my track day last month there were streaks from top to bottom of my can that were baked on, I had the chain recently cleaned so I'm assuming that its just extra gunk that came off at the increased speeds. Did you clean your chain recently before your last day?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
That is just an accumulation of dirt, grease/chain lube that collects there. There is no contact point with the chain there, and no need for it to be greased. Give it a clean out periodically. I believe the nylon slider on top of the swing arm may come with a bit of grease on it from the factory... but again, there is no need to apply extra lube there. As long as you keep your chain clean and lubed you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, usually clean and lube every 3-4 rides so probably a lot of accumulation there over the past 2 years. On with the gloves, put down the plastic, and get ready to....hmmmm...that sounds like a potential crime scene...

·
Registered
126 Posts
That sprocket cover and the little rubber thing in the same area above the cans collects SO MUCH gunk that every 15k when I install a new chain, I take the cover off and clean it with kerosene or WD40. It gets so bad that I actually thought the cover was shaped differently, but it was all the gunk stuck inside it........ I haven't figured out how to remove the rubber piece so I just clean it the best I can (screwdriver to dig out gunk, then kerosene with a brush).

I replaced the swingarm chain 'shoe' (slider) around 50,000 miles I think, it was starting to really wear down. I don't usually clean that piece too much.

Reactions: Kev242

·
Registered
56 Posts
That sprocket cover and the little rubber thing in the same area above the cans collects SO MUCH gunk that every 15k when I install a new chain, I take the cover off and clean it with kerosene or WD40. It gets so bad that I actually thought the cover was shaped differently, but it was all the gunk stuck inside it........ I haven't figured out how to remove the rubber piece so I just clean it the best I can (screwdriver to dig out gunk, then kerosene with a brush).

I replaced the swingarm chain 'shoe' (slider) around 50,000 miles I think, it was starting to really wear down. I don't usually clean that piece too much.
How many miles do you have on your 959?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Thanks, usually clean and lube every 3-4 rides so probably a lot of accumulation there over the past 2 years. On with the gloves, put down the plastic, and get ready to....hmmmm...that sounds like a potential crime scene...
Ha! It may end up looking that way!

Reactions: Kev242

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow!! Are those mostly commuter miles, or do you just ride a whole lot?
I've probably rode more miles to work this year than the previous 3 years. Most of the miles were riding for fun. Can do up to 600 miles a day, which I've done a few times... but usually 300-350/day for both days on a weekend. Plus add in the longer weekend trips, and an 8 day cross-country road trip that racked up 5k miles two years ago :)

Just had the valves adjusted last night, closers were all good, all but one opener needed shimmed, though. The last 22k since the last valve service (I know, has always been checked 15k intervals till now) have been the hardest on this motor for sure. Lots of wheelies and rev limiter. Still running GREAT! As the guy said, 'if it hasn't blowed up by now... it probably won't' >:)

Reactions: Pard

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
@XCLR8TN, I gotcha! My weekend ride is close to the 400 mile mark, but unfortunately for me I don't get near as many in as you apparently lol! Are you in north east, Ohio? Super nice riding out that way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@XCLR8TN, I gotcha! My weekend ride is close to the 400 mile mark, but unfortunately for me I don't get near as many in as you apparently lol! Are you in north east, Ohio? Super nice riding out that way.
Yep northeast, but travel south to either side of 77 for the good roads :)

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Yep northeast, but travel south to either side of 77 for the good roads :)
My bad... I meant to say are you in the SOUTHeast, OH, not Northeast...

Been over that way a few times. The roads are very nice...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts