Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything that cause anyone to void their warranty if putting aftermarket parts? I’m curious so I can be cautious of what to put in my bike like for example putting a new aftermarket rearsets.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Where are you located? Each country has different laws in place to protect consumers...

·
Registered
439 Posts
The main rule that I go by is that the relationship you maintain with your dealer will ultimately determine how flexible your warranty coverage will wind up being. In the US, consumers are protected by the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act which says that the manufacturer is responsible for proving that a modification is responsible for the failure of a stock part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

If you replace the foot pegs, it is highly unlikely that they can fault a failure with the DQS by your upgrade. However, if you install aftermarket rearsets and the DQS fails, then they have room to question the introduction or install of the new parts. Additionally, those rearsets are not going to lead to a problem with your engine or exhaust.

However, if you pour non recommended additives or improperly service your bike and it leads to your engine grenading, then I would be prepared for an uphill battle trying to get coverage when they expect to tear down your engine to determine the cause.

For this reason, I have my dealer install all my significant modifications and use reputable manufacturers for parts. In the past, my Ducati dealer has fought Ducati and won them covering a leaking clutch master even after having them install aftermarket reservoirs and levers. The fluid emptied out over my front, upper left, and lower left fairings, and Ducati footed the bill... AMS even replaced my decals and Techspec tank grips.

On the other hand, I have heard of warranty claims being denied for much lower amounts of value because the owner did the work themselves or was negligent in causing the damage, ie burn outs or not keeping up with oil changes.

In your case, I would use your better judgement and consider the quality of the parts you expect to use. There is a constant debate on eBay knock off parts and whether they are a good value, but I don't think potentially losing warranty coverage with shoddy parts is worth the headache of saving a couple hundred $$$ if a failure arises later on down the road... no pun intended.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @sinjin for the infos... I wanted to get professional done on rearsets but the cost of rearset is so high. The crappy reason is because my gear shift lever is bent from a soft drop while replacing my windscreen... so the cost of gear shift lever is like $110. I wa thinks a black rear sent with red accents or simply all black. But again the cost is so high. It nota a high demand for me but it would make my bike look nicer once I have it Vinyl wrapped in camp design.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The main rule that I go by is that the relationship you maintain with your dealer will ultimately determine how flexible your warranty coverage will wind up being.

This is an interesting point. One would think that the dealer would want to maintain a solid relationship with every person who buys their Ducati through them just in order to secure a future revenue stream of some service sales revenue and future purchase revenue.

The dealer I purchased from fought for and secured warranty brake work and coolant pump replacement despite a host of do it yourself work and aftermarket parts I purchased elsewhere and installed myself.

That made good business sense as I am now likely to go there for service when needed instead of using another dealer. There are choices out there.

The dealer was wise to point out to me that Ducati Corporate will fight warranty claims even if you install an aftermarket brake lever.

Makes one dislike Ducati Corporate culture if indeed that is true.

·
Registered
439 Posts
@Pard - I hear what you are saying and certainly agree... that is how AMS treat all their good and loyal customers. However, I know a few owners in our riding group that constantly complain about their techs, insist on doing their own shoddy work installing cheap parts, and perform their own oil changes, then grumble when something goes wrong and expect the dealer to file a claim on their behalf and wind up fixing something that likely failed as a result of what they did.

I realize this is an exaggerated example, however you have to maintain at least a non confrontational relationship if you are going to expect a dealer to challenge a denial of a warranty claim. After all, the dealerships reputation with Ducati North America is going to determine whether they accept a claim at face value or in the case of a service department that tries to get everything through warranty, they will begin to scrutinize a majority of the warranty claims.

The time and material bill for my clutch master was over $4500. Ducati was able to absorb the price of the fairings at their cost, but the labor ate directly into their margin on the bike they sold me 2 1/2 years earlier.

When the 899 was released there was a massive number of engine leaks that effectively wiped out their profits on their first 6 months of sales. They had to ship replacement engines for bikes that only just had their first service.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
Excellent points.

The burden of proof being upon the manufacturer is, as you stated above, does get tested.

Changing your own oil is a low risk proposition. Rearsets are as well. You will not ruin your bike doing that work unless you really have no clue what you are doing, fail to get educated, and fail to check your work.

Changing a brake lever is pretty simple as well, as is bleeding a master. Low risk propositions, and worth it to do yourself.

It would be disingenuous on behalf of Ducati to blame a faulty master cylinder on a cheap ebay lever or cheap rearsets. There is no causation or even correlation there. That denial of a claim would be bad faith and ugly. Furthermore, Ducati should just come out and state the policy in writing in the warranty. Any non-OEM product or service will void the warranty. If that is indeed the position.

The truth of a failure being operator or manufacturer fault is easy enough to determine in most cases.

Your point about being non-confrontational is key. It would be nice to be treated well just because you are a customer, but it seems with this bike at least, you need to be a bit of a politician from the first day you pick up the bike since you need the Ducati service along the way.

I hate that part of the ownership experience. I just want to ride and tell the service shop to stick it where the sun don't shine when they try and make life unreasonably tough, but that is not possible if I want to keep the bike running. Indeed, playing nice is essential. Finishing school for Ducati owners.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done research before purchasing the bike and I have always wanted one for years.... so at the time I wanted to have extended warranty but the cost was tremendous that it requires more downpayment... so I dropped the extended warranty. Then when I joined this forum I see some have issues even within the first few thousands miles it makes me nervous and kind of regret denying the extended warranty....

However the relationship with the dealer was good to me I talked to both the owner and he salesperson about the service and my bike in general... I enjoy the ride and now at 755 miles so I am due for first service but didn’t have the money and I rode all those miles in like 5 weeks....

I hope I’m not abusing my bike by not having the first service done by 600 miles... because the cost for first service here is $425!!! I don’t have the money at the moment but working overtime to make up for it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have done research before purchasing the bike and I have always wanted one for years.... so at the time I wanted to have extended warranty but the cost was tremendous that it requires more downpayment... so I dropped the extended warranty. Then when I joined this forum I see some have issues even within the first few thousands miles it makes me nervous and kind of regret denying the extended warranty....

However the relationship with the dealer was good to me I talked to both the owner and he salesperson about the service and my bike in general... I enjoy the ride and now at 755 miles so I am due for first service but didn’t have the money and I rode all those miles in like 5 weeks....

I hope I’m not abusing my bike by not having the first service done by 600 miles... because the cost for first service here is $425!!! I don’t have the money at the moment but working overtime to make up for it.
Change your oil yourself, check chain tension.

That is important to do after 600 miles.

If you skip the oil change, I would bet Ducati would deny a future warranty claim on engine problems.

The dealer told you to skip the first oil change?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I hope you realize that the extended warranty........extends.......... the original warranty, which is 2 year or 12k(?) miles.

And like many are alluding to, you might as well just voided the engine's warranty depending on how many miles you have on it, assuming you actually skipped the first service.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will get my oil and filter changes soon when I have the money.. I'm not planning on spending on the vinyl wrap yet.. I prioritize things for my baby and oil changes/filter change is mandatory no doubt about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts