Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the 959 Corse for the last couple of weeks and finally had an opportunity to test ride one today. I really liked the feel and I really love the color scheme but the committed riding position has me a little nervous. I'm 55 and only 5' 5" tall and the Supersport is pretty comfortable so I'm worried about the position being too much long term. The bike is only a weekend toy so it's not going to be used for any type of long distance riding. Everyone I've talked to said I'll get more comfortable after riding it for a few weekends but after the SS is traded in and the 959 is paid for I'm pretty much fully committed at that point. One other thing that has me a little concerned is that I can barely touch the ground on my tip toes (and I mean barely). Other than that I was really impressed with the way the bike felt. The shifting felt better and the engine felt quite a bit smoother but I was only in Sport mode and kept it below 6k since it only had 3 miles on it.

Anyway, has anyone else been in a similar situation when purchasing a sport bike? The SS was the first real sport type bike I've had because most of my riding has been in motocross.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy one off someone that only uses it on the weekends and sell your SS out right. Ducati will not work with you on the price. You save by buying it zero% financing. The price is set in Italy, kind of like apple. Same price everywhere. I have a 2019 959 corse and I bought at a new Orlando / Sanford florida dealership, I had limited product to choose from, and I found out that Miami had the same bike for the same price, all I got out of the deal was a good % and a free track day. Go to my YouTube page MaximumMike all one word.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you don't mind driving to or shipping it from Dallas, I know where you can get a great deal.

The notion that Ducati dealers won't negotiate is nonsense.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Everyone I've talked to said I'll get more comfortable after riding it for a few weekends but after the SS is traded in and the 959 is paid for I'm pretty much fully committed at that point. One other thing that has me a little concerned is that I can barely touch the ground on my tip toes (and I mean barely).
It's really up to you since you know best how comfortable/confident you feel on the 959 despite not being able to flat foot. My personal opinion is that I would not be confident on a bike if I had trouble reaching the ground, so I wouldn't commit to it. However I've seen and heard shorter riders getting through it fine.

Since you plan on using it as a weekend bike, your height might be a bit less of an issue. Flat footing is more important if you will be stopping/going frequently, such as when using the bike to commute and drive in the city (which I would advise against). If you're cutting through canyons and twisty roads then you likely won't have your foot on the ground much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy one off someone that only uses it on the weekends and sell your SS out right. Ducati will not work with you on the price. You save by buying it zero% financing. The price is set in Italy, kind of like apple. Same price everywhere. I have a 2019 959 corse and I bought at a new Orlando / Sanford florida dealership, I had limited product to choose from, and I found out that Miami had the same bike for the same price, all I got out of the deal was a good % and a free track day. Go to my YouTube page MaximumMike all one word.
I just watched the Youtube video of you crashing. I'm curious to know what happened. You're lucking you didn't hit the oncoming car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Team Mancuso or somewhere else? I hope that you got a better deal than you were anticipating...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I bought it at Team Mancuso. I got the deal I was anticipating but it was local, the deal that I got when I purchased the Supersport was pretty good, and everyone there has always been great to deal with. I thought about reaching out to the dealer/dealers in the Dallas area but at the end of the day saving a few thousand dollars wasn't worth the hassle of getting my bike there and getting the new one here, not to mention the additional support I can get locally. If the people at Mancuso weren't so personable I might have really considered looking hard to beat the price but for me I value a long term relationship more. The bottom line is I can't wait to get the Corse here tomorrow. Since I actually own the bike now, here's a pic I took earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations! As an owner shorter than you, I can totally understand your concerns about riding the panigale with a tall seat height. Im actually shorter than you, and the name of the game is adaptability. It will be virtually impossible for you to flat foot it, however, after some practice it will become second nature to just shift to one side. I subconsciously now place my right foot down at stops so I can keep my left foot close to the footpeg/gear selector. I also have conceited this fact, and when it comes time to back my bike into a spot, i actually do jump off and just walk it back in. You will get it!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@mliebs
The bike's seat height is actually an advantage for you as you will have more leg-room. 95% of the time, you're on the pegs.
Notwithstanding, it will never be as comfortable as your Supersport. Not even close. The 959 is a track bike and thoroughbred. It doesn't like commuting or rough urban roads. If you can look past that however, you'll love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts