Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if you buy a demo motorcycle, does the warranty start on the day the dealer register it or when the new owner register it? If the dealer register it first, will buying it make you a second owner? just curious, came close buying a demo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, @obby — I almost bought a demo 959 across the country. Looking at the PDFs of that paperwork in the email, I can see that the warranty start date was applied when the dealer bought the bike for demo use. So if I were to buy the bike right now (as it's still up for sale), then I would have approximately 20 months left: the warranty start date was at the end of March.

·
487 Posts
I think each dealer might have their own policies regarding this. They may include some sort of an extended warranty part of the deal. Best to ask the specific details to the dealer selling you the demo bike.

And always make sure you have the terms of the warranty in writing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would probably avoid demo bike despite the warrianty. You might save few bucks initially but ownership could be problematic later on. Similar applies in car industry, generally demos are severy abused which might result in mechanical problem after factory warrianty expires due to inproper break in IMHO

·
Registered
358 Posts
Like what others here have said, you might not want to purchase it, I sure wouldn't. Rather spend the bit extra and a new 959 rather than demo. At least that way it leaves nothing extra to consider.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with @tomi and @corsa. Dealers will tell test riders to "take it easy and not haul it because this unit has low miles," but the chances that the tester will respect that note are 50-50. Many who film the demo rides on YouTube do follow the suggestion, maybe even for the sake of appearing to be a good-willed individual, but for the others—and when the lenses are shut, it's anyone's guess. Keep in mind that the 959 has a break-in regimen, and although that's a rather controversial topic, you can have demo riders notching levers and bouncing off the redline on day 1 with 2 miles on the bike. If this was an S1000 (XR, R or RR), I'd be more inclined to give it a more serious look. Those bikes have low rev-limiters from the factory for the first 600 miles, which then need to be removed by the dealer during the first service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all. I didnt buy this as i end up buying a new one but i was very temped as it only has 140 miles and the warranty was about 6 months in. Also they offer me 15200 OTD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts