Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Thought I'd share with you this newbie's initiation to the track where I attended a "two day" track course held this past weekend at Calabogie.

Rained lightly but consistently on Saturday but all sunny on Sunday. I was extremely concerned about grip or lack thereof on Saturday. Had the 959 Panigale in wet mode with all TC and ABS setting at maximum. In fact, I kept it in wet-mode all weekend as a precautionary measure which in hindsight was overkill. The SuperCorsa's SP2 held surprisingly well in the wet although most of the credit should go to the track builder who's asphalt is extremely gritty. There's nothing like that quality on the street. My tires look like they've been thrown to the dogs. (see attached)

This track is extremely technical with twenty corners, many of them blind combined with elevation. Notwithstanding, the pavement is flawless as you won't find a bump, crack or patch anywhere and the scenery, location and facilities are amazing. From a track perspective, the run-off areas look like a golf fairway. More on that in a bit.

As the weekend progressed so did I as my confidence and track layout knowledge increased. Made several mistakes however. One of which was about passing. Newbie groups are only permitted to pass on straights. Our lead rider signaled to pass another group however by the time I passed, the marshal flagged a yellow thus I got a black flag. Oh dear! I expected to get my ears chewed-out by the marshal. Not at all. He explained that he saw the group passing but his flag took precedence. Note to myself: Make a conscious effort to look at each marshal on every turn going forward for safety reasons as there may be a spill up ahead. I also had a run-off early on Sunday in turn 14 for lack of track familiarity. Fortunately I had plenty of braking time with a good save in the grass. My instructor who was following at the time mentioned thereafter that I could have easily made the corner had I been looking at where I needed to be on the track instead of looking at the grass. Classic mistake which I should have known better.

The classroom sessions were very informative ranging from medical/injuries to suspension set-up. Unfortunately, copies of the slides were not available hence it's near impossible to remember the troubleshooting symptoms, causes and solutions.

We stayed at the Highland Golf resort located just down the road from the track. Room was prefect and as expected and the dinning cuisine was awesome.

All and all, what a weekend it was! Made lots of new friends which I will surely see at future track days and next year's course. On this note, Ducati Owners Club (Ducati Owners Club Of Canada | Serving The Faithful for 40 Years And Counting) is hosting a Canada Day (July 1st) track weekend at Calabogie. Register before June 8th.

For this past weekend, I was fortunate enough to borrow my buddie's "Hardcore Ducati" trailer. (see attached). I'm seriously considering buying a rig if this becomes a habit. Until such time however, I'll have to do the ghetto thing and rent a UHaul if my bud's trailer is unavailable at such times.

Big thanks to the Pro 6 Cycle guys who organized the event, track marshals, Marty and Alex at PowerSports in Ottawa for prepping my bike and of course, my crew chief and spouse of 30+ years.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice narrative. I love track days, it’s been more than three years last time I’ve attended one.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts