Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all ! So I'm fairly new to the forum and I'm heavily looking into buying a 959. I used to own an 01' CBR600F4i and someone mentioned that the technological changes would blow me away. After seeing the Roll Call Thread , which was a great idea, I thought it would be cool to have a thread on what everyone used to ride before, and what made you purchase the 959.

I've seen guys on the forum that used to ride older carburetor bikes, others that were into Ducati their whole life, so it would be fun to see what everyone had prior in one thread and compare !

So for me, I used to own the CBR600, and the reason I want to purchase the 959 is for some more speed, and it just looks drop dead gorgeous :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Previous Bikes:
2001 Monster 750
2001 Ducati 748S
2003 Ducati 749S
2008 Ducati 848

Current Bikes:
2016 Ducati 959
2012 Ducati 1199 (track only)
2001 Monster S4

I purchased the 959 because I needed something new for street riding. My Monster S4 has over 35k miles on it. And while it's in great shape, it had left me stranded a few times over the past two seasons with some major break downs. So now I just use it around town or if I want to ride two up. My first inclining was to get another Monster as they make great street bikes. I looked at the new M1200, but wasn't that taken with it for the price. IMO, the 959 is much more bike for the same money. I also contemplated a used 1199 or 899, but I felt the 1199 was a little too much for the street with it's much harder power delivery, and with the improvements on the 959 over the 899 I decided the 959 was the way to go. I have a little over 1500 miles on the 959 now and I'm convinced I made the right choice for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Over 10 years ago: 1999 Honda CBR250RR
Followed by: 2003 Kawasaki ZX636
And after a long riding hiatus: 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale

·
Registered
69 Posts
My first bike was a Ducati Monster 620 I rode in Sydney
I then moved to the middle east where I had a Kawasaki Ninja 250
Came back to Sydney and bought a Ducati Monster 659 (still ride this)
I then upgraded as I just wanted something a bit more sporty and with more power so I bought my Ducati 959

·
Registered
110 Posts
After dirt biking to adulthood, my first street bike was a Yamaha 650 or 750 Maxim/Special/or Virago too long ago to remember it was like an '80 or '81. Then I bought a 95' Fatboy and tricked it out and since I spent so much time touring/camping I went with a 2003 Road King Classic. Life got bz (read kids) and I didn't have much time for long rides, but living in British Columbia, there are so many great places to ride all within 6 hours I thought a nice sport bike would do the trick for some short tours.

I went in thinking a Monster would be the ticket. Somehow I didn't feel right on it - not a cruiser, not a super sport, somewhere in between... I dunno, I didn't feel comfortable psychologically. Took a rip on the 959, and wow! FUN FUN FUN, that's all I could think of. My concern was the riding position coming most recently from cruisers and TBH, it was a quick adaptation. Less weight on my butt compared to a cruiser, and I quickly adapted to relaxing my arms/hands. I can handle a long day on this thing no problem - especially at highway speed. Anyhow, kind of an emotional buy that just worked out for me.

For the city, I ride a Vespa 150 (haha)- it's just too **** slow for me to ride a sport bike in town without losing my s**t

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
For the city, I ride a Vespa 150 (haha)- it's just too **** slow for me to ride a sport bike in town without losing my s**t
Ha! I do the same thing with my Aprilia SR50. Cut through all the neighborhoods. lol!

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's a good chunk of time !
I know but at that time there was nothing worth buying. 959 is the first bike in a long time I find attractive and boy was I right. Our Pani is a very special bike that makes me feel so alive there is nothing like it !!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had an 01 F4i also until about 2006... 10 year hiatus then the 959... well I did get a 1967 Honda CL160 between and still have it but don't ride it much... thinking seriously about making it a cafe racer this winter.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
The first motorcycle I owned is a 2014 Kawasaki Concours. It's a 680 pound supersport touring bike. It's great for multi-day 2up rides. The 959 is not comfortable for a passenger. So, I still have it. But my 959 is great for so many other things (track days, spirited rides, looks amazing, super fun, etc). Since I got my 959 February 2nd, I've taken the Concours for 2 rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I owned several bikes in the late seventies~early eighties of which, this is an example of my last ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uo--7a_PUw
Raised a family, moved out Toronto where I'm now enjoying life and riding again.
Other rides include an RXP Seadoo, a Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock and possibly another bike in the near future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I owned several bikes in the late seventies~early eighties of which, this is an example of my last ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uo--7a_PUw
Raised a family, moved out Toronto where I'm now enjoying life and riding again.
Other rides include an RXP Seadoo, a Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock and possibly another bike in the near future.
Holy **** that sounds so darn cool :|

1 - 20 of 51 Posts