Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. What RPM range do you use for sport riding on the roads?

2. What is the sweet spot for RPM's on the track?

I rev up to 6-7K before upshifting coming out of street/road corners, which considering the freezing temps is aggressive enough for me.

Cruising around I keep it at around 4K.

I only have 1350 miles on the bike so far, still keeping the RPMs below 7K, and have only just finally developed confidence in the brakes following a master cylinder replacement. Feels good to have reliable brakes that allow for late braking and late downshifting before the turns.

No track time on it yet.

How do you guys manage your RPMs?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
My quick answer is The Entire RPM Range whether I’m on the street or the track. I don’t ride much different with regard to the gearing choices. When I am on the track and am doing a Hot Lap I tend to ride it just like N Hayden used to - maxed out! braking late and hard and back on the gas as fast as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My quick answer is The Entire RPM Range whether I’m on the street or the track. I don’t ride much different with regard to the gearing choices. When I am on the track and am doing a Hot Lap I tend to ride it just like N Hayden used to - maxed out! braking late and hard and back on the gas as fast as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOT or on the brakes! Hey the Panigale has a simple on/off throttle switch. :smile2:

I do not have the skills to make that work on the road.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
On the street, 5500~9000 rpm.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Both your posted articles were a very interesting read. I'll be keeping them in mind especially in long sweeping turns.
I always felt that staying under 9000 was best in those situations but really didn't think about why that was.
With these, the following chart may be useful. Turns-out the answer was simple: I had some upside left if I needed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Both your posted articles were a very interesting read. I'll be keeping them in mind especially in long sweeping turns.
I always felt that staying under 9000 was best in those situations but really didn't think about why that was.
With these, the following chart may be useful. Turns-out the answer was simple: I had some upside left if I needed it.
I need to dig into understanding the theory a bit more, but this piece sheds some additional light on the torque/HP relationship.

https://www.lainefamily.com/hp.htm

https://danielmiessler.com/study/horsepower/

I plan on hiring a coach to work with me both on the track and the roads I practice on. Not good to practice bad habits over and over again. Efficient RPM management is not as much an art as it is a science I suspect.

Body position is another item that requires filming or a coach. One can spend years developing muscle memory for bad habits when all it would take to develop the good habits are a video camera or another set of trained eyes.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I plan on hiring a coach to work with me both on the track and the roads I practice on.
I'm scheduled to do exactly that on a weekend course coached by the CSBK guys on May 19~20th.

·
Registered
892 Posts
1. What RPM range do you use for sport riding on the roads?
As low as I can take it without it bogging down, usually >3k or as much as I want it to warm my soul.

For spirited riding, same as my answer below.

2. What is the sweet spot for RPM's on the track?
Depends on the turn and what's coming after it. The best general answer is within the powerband that gives you room against the limiter to accelerate out of the apex. You don't want to be shifting during a turn, so setup the right gear that allows you to power through it and not have to shift until your out of the turn. Our engines are rough below 6k, but above 7k, engine response (including engine braking) is a lot smoother as well.

Leaning over also raises your engine speed due to smaller diameter on the edge of tire profile, but you probably won't have to worry about that.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Personal gearing will have an affect as well.

For me, this is something I need to feel, and not necessarily "think" about.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Personal gearing will have an affect as well.
For me, this is something I need to feel, and not necessarily "think" about.
We've both dropped the gearing on our bikes. You from the back and I on the counter-shaft sprocket.
On the track it would be different, but I have no interest in getting close to the rev-limiter on the street.
The fun for me is being smooth going into and having plenty on tap coming out of a curve.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On the street, 5500~9000 rpm.
That’s after the break in engine?? And you normally do that when you are higher on the gear not like 1st and 2nd gear... I’m getting used to riding my ducati 959 n hitting 5k rom sounds like screaming for sure.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@sor3765
I would say the middle of the 5500~9000 rpm range is my norm. The Panigale doesn't put out that much at 5000 rpm.
Not that I hit the rev limiter but the 959 comes alive at 8000 rpm and that's where you want to be for power on tap. Even more so on the track.
I don't commute or use the Panigale for any planned city riding. I use my Monster for those low rpm rides.
When I use the Panigale, it's to get lost in the outskirts of town.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The whole Rev range, this are Race bread bikes, I feel if it gets babied to much it will have issues now that’s not the reason I use the whole range but it’s one of them, the other one is, sticky tires and curvy roads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I'm just cruising around on the street I've found myself around 6k, anything after that and I'll shift gears. Cruising on the highway I'll keep them low to maximize fuel economy though :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've typically done street riding on suburban roads in the Northeast (40-50 mph typically). No track days yet.

I keep the bike between 4-6k rpm while cruising. In my opinion that range gives the ideal level of loudness and vibration, I can't imagine trying to cruise outside of that range. The bike tends to sound and feel bogged down below 4k rpm. When accelerating, I have kept it below 7k rpm because of break-in, but I imagine I wouldn't need to accelerate past 9k rpm on the street.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've typically done street riding on suburban roads in the Northeast (40-50 mph typically). No track days yet.

I keep the bike between 4-6k rpm while cruising. In my opinion that range gives the ideal level of loudness and vibration, I can't imagine trying to cruise outside of that range. The bike tends to sound and feel bogged down below 4k rpm. When accelerating, I have kept it below 7k rpm because of break-in, but I imagine I wouldn't need to accelerate past 9k rpm on the street.
On country roads I try to go at 8k rpm but it was kinda scary.... it’s hard for me to try get to 9-12k rpm..... idk how people do it with this bike lol I don’t even see the red light flash when in high rpm yet... I believe it’s when it’s 10k rpm am I right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts