Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What wax and other cleaning products are you guys using for your Panigale that have given you great results for a clean/shine/gloss look?

I've been away from all this bike stuff for years and I'm sure there are new improvements out there that I'm unaware of.

I know for my 300zx I used some stuff called finish first and the more coats of wax you put on it the better it was... Gave it a wet look.

I appreciate any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't have a red 959 like yours, but the best thing to do to protect your red paint is to get it coated with either a clear coat, a ceramic coating like CQuartz, or similar. There's some discussion on here, but one big difference of the red paint on a 959 vs a 1299 is that the 959 doesn't have a clear coat on it (or at least anything protective).

I'd say look into that if you want to really keep it shiny. Anything on top of that protection is then just icing on the cake.

Reactions: DarR and Spanishcop

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a hard time believing that Ducati wouldn't put a clear coat on there brand new bikes??Unles its a matte version like the black 1199

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cquarts you speak of is awesome stuff, this is what i did to mine!!

Any ideas on what that Cquarts may cost give or take. Trying to get a general idea.... That may be something I will get done early spring before riding weather arrives. Is it just the fairing that is done?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any ideas on what that Cquarts may cost give or take. Trying to get a general idea.... That may be something I will get done early spring before riding weather arrives. Is it just the fairing that is done?

I have also been doing a lot of research with paint protection. So far this company out of Van Nuys, CA has 3 of options I have been looking into. Clear wrap, opti-coat, and the cquartz. I haven't tried any of them on any of my previous bikes, so I have no personal feedback. I am trying to find a reasonable price to get the clear wrap. Either buy an existing kit (avery nano fusion or 3m) and have a pro install it. Or find a dealer, like this one that customs everything. If I don't end up choosing the wrap, I'm going to opti-coat or cquartz the 959.

Ceramic Clear Coat Finish - Mighty Fine Auto Detailing

click on their services and it will show you a video of each of those 3 protections you can get. I'm not endorsing them, I'm just sharing what I have found so far.

As for cleaning my bikes, I have never ever washed my bikes with water and soap. EVER. I have always used Pro Honda or Original all purpose cleaner and polisher. They are great for taking grease and any kind of debris out, no residue, no wax build up. I use it for the rims, body work, windshield, 3 different surfaces. Not only does it clean really well it also leaves a nice shine, never needed any waxing. I save water and wax!!! I buy them by the dozen when they are on sale at my local bike shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked into the cquartz and was quoted 500 for my bike. Only heard from one place so far reference quote.

I did some reading and as for cleaning products I picked up....
Dodo Juice Supernatural polisher
Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax

I'll post up some pics once I get it cleaned up and applied. I'm waiting to find out about the cquartz first before I start applying products.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
What wax and other cleaning products are you guys using for your Panigale that have given you great results for a clean/shine/gloss look?

I've been away from all this bike stuff for years and I'm sure there are new improvements out there that I'm unaware of.

I know for my 300zx I used some stuff called finish first and the more coats of wax you put on it the better it was... Gave it a wet look.

I appreciate any feedback.

I don't get into a lot of crazy cleaning products and waxes. I clean my bike after every ride and routinely do the following steps:
1) I use a mixture of water and Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle to remove bugs and road grime.
2) I also use a product called "Foam Away" which is an aerosol spray that foams and removes dirt. It's a mild but effective product that can be used on any surface. From rims to the leather interior in my car. I got it from a friend who was in the car business so I'm not sure it's even available on the public market Distributed by Vesco Oil.
3) I use Motul "Chain Clean" to clean the chain and rear sprocket.
4) Once the bike is clean I spay it down with "Plexus" spay polish. This stuff works great on all plastic surfaces.
5) When I wax the body panels I'll just use a carnauba cleaner wax. Nothing special there.

Attachments

Reactions: Spanishcop

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

In the market more number of cleaning materials arrived... But some products are not well in public....
If you want know new cleaning materials.... Search the products...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
This stuff works well on the matte white.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had my bike (red) coated with opticoat pro. The pro version is only available through a professional detailer and cost $350. But that 350 got me a full hand polish and 5 year warranty on the coating. Bike has 6500 miles on it and still looks great. Minimal swirls and scratches, bugs just spray off. I've tried opticoat gloss on my wife's car ($50 DIY) and really like the results on that too. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably just do the opticoat gloss. Lasts for 2 years vs the pro 5 years. No wax required.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did about 350 miles Sunday. Fog and rain in the morning, followed by dirty roads and low water crossings. Got water in my toe vents on my boots.

Took the bike home and followed my standard detail procedure.

Hose
Bucket
Car soap
Walmart sponge thing
brush for the grimy parts

Followed by

Chain cleaning and lube
Leaf blower to dry it off and some spray polish stuff.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Went out today, wet, foggy and raining till lunch. Had a GREAT ride...had to give the bike a bath again.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
It'll still look fine when it tops 50,000 miles on its way to who knows how many. I'm gonna wear this thing out.
I think you'll find you'll be replacing nuts and bolts that have rusted before 50K miles, probably brake lines and rotors too. We shall see!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you'll find you'll be replacing nuts and bolts that have rusted before 50K miles, probably brake lines and rotors too. We shall see!
Since none of my Hondas (or other Japanese bikes), MV's or Aprilias have done that, why would a Ducati? I take care of the chain properly and dry the bike when I'm done. If a Ducati is that delicate something is wrong. My 1098S didn't rust and fall apart.

These are motorcycles, more people need to get on them and ride them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts