Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has good acceleration, but where is the top end speed? I hit 255km/hr but I don't think there is much more available. My old CBR 600 could do that. Is the bike geared for acceleration?

I thought for sure it would reach 299 no problem. I guess not.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I hit 140MPH on the speedo before rolling back the throttle - I'll check the video I took but I thought I was in 5th gear... point is I think there's plenty more where that came from!

btw... acceleration is f'n awesome!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hit 150 mph in 5th gear before hitting the redline. Do big sports bikes still have limiter on them? What was that magic number, 189? or something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
150=240km/hr. I was in 6th gear and at 255 it was climbing slowly. I'm sure I could have made it to 260-65.

Litre bikes have a speedo limiter set at 299 =186 mph. My 09 Gsxr 1000 could hit it. It definitely got to 250 quicker than the Ducati. The Ducati looks much better though.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
5th gear, almost at redline - I'm guessing the bike will do 2-3MPH more before redline, let's call it 150MPH on the Speedo (not reality, remember it's algo + 5%)

I haven't done a gear calculation but I'm guessing 6th has to be good for at least another 15-20MPH

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Top speed confirmation on GPS required.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The dealer wanted $1295 for the GPS including $5000 coverage for if it was stolen...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The dealer wanted $1295 for the GPS including $5000 coverage for if it was stolen...
Just a plain jane garmin nuvi will do the job for recording true top speed.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
AMA pro and Road Racing World Editor, Chris Ulrich, hit 165 MPH on the front straight at Valencia during the 959 launch and claims he had just clicked into 6th gear. Are you sure you are in Full Power mode? He said it had speed similar to a full on literbike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live and work out in Germany, where I have the autobahns as my playground. I've had an indicated 176mph on the dash, and a gps (garmin 390) 172mph. This was in sixth gear, with the first of three red "shift" lights on. I recon 175mph gps is achievable, I just haven't got there yet!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I reckon 175 MPH on the GPS is achievable, this bike is not slow!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
What MaxWrist didn't factor into the equation is the 5% overage of the speed algorithm- which turns out to be 163.4
So... It seems both of his references in the video are correct and he is wrong for taking the speed at face value...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Well maybe 168 mph true on that video, these machines also vary a little. Cycle World said 165 mph on GPS, plenty fast either way, the only 600 I know that will top that is the R6 at 172 mph true. Can't expect this bike to stay with a literbike as it is giving up 30-40 HP on top end.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Speedometer vs GPS

algo + 5%
I ran it up to 220kph before rolling back the throttle. However, when I looked at my GPS history afterwards, my top speed was only 205kph. That's a 7% difference. There is a possibility that algo + 5% works at lower speed such as 100kph / 62mph but the tracking error may increase with speed.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
The best I've seen is 150 mph on one particular section of the back roads. And that's just hitting it then having to brake. Of course I'm not sure what the 'real' speed is as I have gone up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts