Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Are we talking expressway riding? That's not a challenge! lol!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
16 Posts
didnt think this thread was about challenges but rather discussing how fast the bike can go, period. go measure ur dick sumwhere else

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was on the track today with a long front straight away and saw (probably could provide video) of 156 MPH indicated but the GPS (cell phone under the back seat running the racechrono ap (highly recommended), consistently saw at least 10 MPH less; I'd have to go back through the lap trackers and video to put exact situations together. I suspect the refresh rate of the phone GPS is slow and I let go of the throttle just after seeing 156 but either way, I'm guessing the indicated is about 10MPH higher than actual. This was 6th with a little RPM left but not a ton. 190LB rider.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@ASavageFox - here's how the math works out based on a reading from any of our displays...

viewed 156MPH * 5% = 7.8MPH error built into the algorithm which turns out to be 148.2MPH actual - ultimately this would need to be tested against a radar gun

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
The iPhone GPS application refresh rate is very slow. I've found them to be very accurate if you can hold your speed steady enough for a long time but they lag way behind if you accelerate or decelerate rapidly.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
The most accurate tests I've seen indicate a true GPS top speed of about 165 mph for the 959. With about 130 bhp at the back wheel this makes sense. The liter bikes have 20-40 more HP and will top out at between 175 mph to 186 mph true. 600s top out at about 160 mph.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I hit 171 today on the dash... 162 +/- I still had about 1/3 more throttle but no more road

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Never really had the opportunity or willingness last year to stretch his legs with the stock gearing. However, I finally had a chance to open-it-up in between corn fields. I hit 148mph on the GPS as shown. I have no clue what the speedometer was indicating as my full attention was on the road. Like @Dingo previously, It was still pulling hard but I had to cut it short as I ran out of road without intersections. BTW, I’m running with a -1F gearing.

Attachments

Reactions: MiamiJAG

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@DarR - it would be interesting to see the tolerances between the bikes dash and your GPS - can you get a pic of the dash and your GPS at any given speed, say 20MPH ticks, eg- 100, 120, 140, etc... wonder what deviation there is as speed increases...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@Dingo . Unfortunately I don't have a Go Pro or equivalent yet.
However, I've visually done that at 100kph (62mph) many times and the additional 5% on the speedo per Ducati seems accurate.
I've questioned your comment as well in post #17 of this thread where I’ve noticed a 7% tracking error which may be misleading.
GPS speed calculations are fast but not "real time" fast. The GPS calculates the speed from the time difference between two sets of Lat/Lon coordinates. In my #17 observation, my goal was to hit 220kph. I was very concerned about speed traps known on that smooth highway and immediately eased off and hit the brakes upon touching my speed objective. I was at 220kph for not even a second which may not have been sufficient time for the GPS to recalculate and record the last maximum speed.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I maxed out the bike this summer. It hit 298 and wouldn't go more. Of course that is not the actual speed. I wanted to hit 299 but it kept dropping down to 297.

·
Registered
43 Posts
still has a lot more...

21 - 40 of 56 Posts