Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that while most don't like the side exhaust on the Euro models, they tend to get all the options.

I can't seem to find anything decent on this side of the pond for a US model Pani 959. I am considering the Arrow Works, but everywhere I look I see them listed, I can't tell if it is for the US or Euro version of the bike. In this day and age it shouldn't be so difficult to buy a muffler... LOL

Anyone have a link to slipons, either Arrow or others, that you KNOW FOR A FACT are for the US version of the 959?

I would really appreciate it, thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Those Euro slipons still keep the stock muffler on. The Euro models have a big box muffler underneath and the dumb twin resonator to quiet it down for the higher Euro noise standards. Just keep that in mind. Al they are really doing is replacing the stock resonator with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, but who makes a us slip On? It’s weird that the us marlet is getting no love for this bike...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Most slip-ons are regurgitated to apply to several makes, models and years. Remus would be the most likely candidate to produce one since they are already manufacturing the US OEM Panigale exhaust. Consequently, it would be very simple for them to produce a titanium version. However, they don't offer a lighter after-market unit given that they're most likely under contract not to produce a competing product with Akrapovic. For others, designing and manufacturing an Akra/Termi lookalike is not financially viable for such a small market.

If I was on a budget and "desperate" for the sound and weight saving, I would purchase an 1199 "full system" Termi that happens to fits the US 959.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get that, but it doesn't even have to be one styled like the Termi/Akra...

I mean, there is an exhaust flange down there when you pop off the stock muffler. How hard is it to make a shorty "GP Style" muffler and small mid-pipe with the correct bend to have a little pipe stick out the side like a new R6 does? They could use an existing can. It would shorten the exhaust a bit, but so does the forward exit Termi's and they seem to work fine.

Looks like I might have to fab up my own!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had similar issues with my 2011 and 2017 Speed Triple 1050... I wanted a shorty lowboy system and nobody had one that I liked, so I got the GP style slipon from M4 that was made for the GSX-R600/750, and it bolted right up to the Triumph header behind the CAT. Eliminated both end cans, the midpipe, the brackets which let me remove the rear boot peg assemblies. Dropped 25lbs off the bike and cleaned up the look, for only $350 and sounded mean.

So I am to a point where I wonder if I can get away with something like that here. While our bikes came with underslung exhaust, the lower fairings do have cutouts as a result to allow a pipe to poke through.

If I could do it clean and get it at the right angle, secure it to the right side rearset assembly or something, it could be an option. Let me see what can I can find that would fit and look nice, and then I will see if I can figure out how to connect it to the headers...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are guys out there making custom stuff. Pete is one of them:

https://www.instagram.com/pdg.performance/
I just emailed him to see if he could make and sell me the flange that mates up to the stock flange, using the stock clamp.

If he could crank those out, leaving 1" of exposed pipe on the flange, that would allow us to easily mount up a muffler or something... I think that one of the makers out there has a slipon for another bike, that is a really short can(M4, Comp Werkes, etc) that has enough of a bend to it that we could easily cut down a little, and clamp to that flange with a solid banjo bolt/clamp and have the exist just peek out the side, sorta like an R6 aftermarket exhaust does... Kinda peaks out underneath the right side rearset... Being that the lower fairings are already cut out there for the stock cans, we have the room... It's really a matter of there being a way to mount it to the stock flange, and finding a muffler the right length with the right bend to it...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being that my bike is already running rich from the factory, I believe that a shorty exhaust that flows a little more, will lean things out and still be in range...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost feel that this one could work, could get the right angle, maybe with a little modification. But if the flange were like $100 and this exhaust is like $260... That could work.

The bike would be loud as F, but they do sell different dB killers for it so that you could adjust or tone that down if you wanted to...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Being that my bike is already running rich from the factory, I believe that a shorty exhaust that flows a little more, will lean things out and still be in range...
Quick question:
What makes you believe your bike is running rich off the showroom floor?
In other words, what signs give you that impression?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick question:
What makes you believe your bike is running rich off the showroom floor?
In other words, what signs give you that impression?
We ran it on the dyno last weekend and from 7k to redline the AFR was about 12.5... This with the stock fuel map, stock exhaust and a Sprint high flow air filter. I was expecting it to be lean, like 14-14.5AFR and it was actually a tad rich...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
We ran it on the dyno last weekend and from 7k to redline the AFR was about 12.5... This with the stock fuel map, stock exhaust and a Sprint high flow air filter. I was expecting it to be lean, like 14-14.5AFR and it was actually a tad rich...
Very interesting. Although many members have posted dyno charts here, none had the AFR portion of the results.
Would you have a chart available to post?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting. Although many members have posted dyno charts here, none had the AFR portion of the results.
Would you have a chart available to post?
You can see that from 7k on, the AFR is in the 12.3-12.5 range, and this is with the stock map. When I used the map from BrenTune, it was even richer and as a result, made less power and torque than the stock map...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You can see that from 7k on, the AFR is in the 12.3-12.5 range, and this is with the stock map. When I used the map from BrenTune, it was even richer and as a result, made less power and torque than the stock map...
That's a cool chart and BTW, thanks for sharing.
I'm a bit confused about the AFR portion. Why two lines as it doesn't seem to be a before and after or is it?
Can you help me understand this thing?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something wonky like the tuner didn't cut the throttle fast enough... the AFR is accurate, maybe I will go over it in Photoshop and highlight the relevant part. We dyno'd my buddy's new Speed Triple RS right after mine and the dyno was functioning propertly...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Of course. I should have seen that. The bottom line becomes irrelevant as that's when the throttle was closed as the rev's decreased.
Accordingly, it's only running rich past 9k but massively lean prior to that. You could benefit from a tune or a Rapidbike to clean that up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually the leanarea leading up to 7k RPM is from the AIS injecting clean air into the exhaust to make the emmissions look cleaner than they are. That valve closes around 6k and so that's why it is insanely lean early on and then you see it quickly drop down between 6k-7k...

At idle the AFR was between 25-30, which isn't even close to being combustible... That's the AIS messing with things...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The fact of sharing this is so cool. Very few sites have this.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have dyno runs from like 25 bikes between my wife and I and a couple of my friends...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts