Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I still have some riding time here in Ohio but probably will be short lived before winter arrives.

As I have stated before being new to a lot of this and learning, I could certainly use some suggestions.

Looking to buy Rear and Front stands for my 959 to get the bike off the ground once hibernation arrives. Could someone possibly share some links on recommended stands that will work with my bike and what exact spools I need for it.

Also any advantage on having two arms vs one arm connecting to bike? I've seen both in pictures and I see Pit-bull and Ducati mostly. My dealer had mentioned to get one with a fork?

Looking for a good price on both and a link if possible to the correct spools needed.

Thank you so much in advance
Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Will the bike be in a heated environment? Putting the bike on stands is a good idea as the cold cement can reduce your trie life. I would also recommend putting the bike on a trickle charger and adding some Sta-bil "storage" fuel stabilizer. Other than that not much you have to do. If you have OE coolant in the bike theres no need to worry about freezing damage.

The single arm stand you speak of are only for the bikes wth the single sided swingarms. Yours will need the two sided stand with the "fork style" adapter. As far as what brand to get - I personally recommend Pit Bull stands as they are well made and bulletproof. You may consider a triple clamp version for the front as this makes it easier to remove the front wheel and allows you do remove or adjust your forks. (up or down in the triples) For spools - just google "swingarm spools for 959" and you should get a slew of results.

Reactions: Spanishcop

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the bike be in a heated environment? Putting the bike on stands is a good idea as the cold cement can reduce your trie life. I would also recommend putting the bike on a trickle charger and adding some Sta-bil "storage" fuel stabilizer. Other than that not much you have to do. If you have OE coolant in the bike theres no need to worry about freezing damage.

The single arm stand you speak of are only for the bikes wth the single sided swingarms. Yours will need the two sided stand with the "fork style" adapter. As far as what brand to get - I personally recommend Pit Bull stands as they are well made and bulletproof. You may consider a triple clamp version for the front as this makes it easier to remove the front wheel and allows you do remove or adjust your forks. (up or down in the triples) For spools - just google "swingarm spools for 959" and you should get a slew of results.

Thanks Dougo, your always there to help. I have already picked up a Ducati universal trickle charger for it. The bike will be garaged, though it's not out in the weather, it gets a little chilly in the garage sometimes. I got a soft dust cover for it as well. Thanks for the tip on the fuel stabilizer. I heard to also keep fuel tank full to prevent rotting of the tubes inside the tank. Thanks also for the stand info.

Dougo can you give me some input on your part also on my question prior to this one for maintenance that I also posted.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
The front fork tree stands require removing some of the trim for the pin to insert into, FYI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front fork tree stands require removing some of the trim for the pin to insert into, FYI.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure if the actual term, but my dealer had mentioned to get one for the front that actually has a bar that runs through the hole in the center of the front wheel to hold it up, but that wouldn't allow to remove front tire I suppose.

I'm really not wanting to remove some of the trim. That's just a bad feeling to do on a new bike

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Ideal vehicle storage is weight off of the tires as well as the suspension. There is a no-cut side mount that lifts the entire bike as a good seasonal solution. That said, 95% of bike owners just lift their tires off the ground with zero issues, myself included. Just wanted to tell you what "right" is since you're taking the time and money to square yourself away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Dougo, your always there to help. I have already picked up a Ducati universal trickle charger for it. The bike will be garaged, though it's not out in the weather, it gets a little chilly in the garage sometimes. I got a soft dust cover for it as well. Thanks for the tip on the fuel stabilizer. I heard to also keep fuel tank full to prevent rotting of the tubes inside the tank. Thanks also for the stand info.

Dougo can you give me some input on your part also on my question prior to this one for maintenance that I also posted.

I've tried a few different stands and I agree with Dougo that Pit Bull stands out, by far, as the best bang for your buck. They last forever and you will never have an issue as to the stability of your bike when propped up. What I mean by that is, even if we were hit by a 9.0 earthquake, my house will start to fall apart, but the bike will still be on that pit bull stand! They are a bit pricier than the competition, but you can get lucky and find a cheaper used one on racing forums and ebay. I have a front pit bull hybrid stand that I use when servicing the suspension or adjusting the triple clamps. But for normal tire changing or brake caliper removal, it is not necessary. Kevin.H has a good point that it is better to use the tree stand for longer storage time so as not to compress the suspension for a long period of time. I live in CA, and I don't even have coolant in my R6, only water wetter, so that's not an issue for me. Having said that, I left my bike on the fork stands for longer than 9 months and never had any issues. For sure you need the battery tender which you already covered.

Attachments

·
487 Posts
I would definitely put some stabil in the fuel, and put the bike on a trickle charger.

Stands are a good idea as well, it is very unlikely, but it will make sure your tires won't get flat spotted.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure if the actual term, but my dealer had mentioned to get one for the front that actually has a bar that runs through the hole in the center of the front wheel to hold it up, but that wouldn't allow to remove front tire I suppose.

I'm really not wanting to remove some of the trim. That's just a bad feeling to do on a new bike

The trim in question is just a small round plastic bit that covers the hole where the pin inserts. It's made to pop out and it takes 2 seconds with a small screw driver.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts

What was the question?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts