Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my bike up for the Winter. I'm not a fan of the -40 windchill in New England.

Im about 75 miles from the dealer, and 75 miles from my first service due. I was planning on taking it in for the service in the Spring....

Should I let the bike sit all winter before the first service.... ? Winterizing tips or proven processes?

I usually change the oil before I put it up, and again when I get it ready for Spring. I'm thinking Im wasting money...any thoughts?

Fuel? Empty tank or full tank? I've heard two sides to this, looking for opinions.

On-stands, or off stands?

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Ideally On a center stand unladen suspension.

Aluminum gas tank isn't going to rust if the tank isn't full. The fuel however can freeze... I always store empty because I do +60% disassembly to clean and service as much as is feasible.

I'd change oil. The detergents in it that *help* minimize oxidation on cast engine components that aren't aluminum are depleted. Also, acidity and other things have changed in the oil from fuel contamination and maybe coolant and high temps, etc...

None of this is definitive, plenty of people park in the garage all winter on concrete without fuel stabil, and no trickle charger and have zero problems....

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Question to @Feragne959 : Will the bike be in an environmentally controlled garage? Or will it be outside, covered, to brave the elements?

The answers to each of those questions dictate two completely different "winter storage" methods.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@Kevin.H
Winter Denial
Went riding yesterday and perhaps a short ride today. I bought a heated jacket liner and glove liners. :cool:

The days of reckoning are fast approaching where they will be lifted on Pit Bull stands and plugged into the battery tenders. :(

Reactions: Kevin.H

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@Kevin.H
Wish I had one of those "Heated Seats" today that some of guys are alway discussing.
Couldn't find it on the Ducati Performance Accessories Website.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
@Kevin.H
Wish I had one of those "Heated Seats" today that some of guys are alway discussing.
Couldn't find it on the Ducati Performance Accessories Website.
lol First world problems, bud..

It'll be in an attached garage without heat. No elements except temps down to 30 or so at worst.
You should be fine. My attached uninsulated garage sees a similar environment and it holds an ambient in the 40's usually.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It'll be in an attached garage without heat. No elements except temps down to 30 or so at worst.
That's a "no problem" IMHO. My garage in unheated as well and detached. Once and a while, I'll heat the garage with a propane heater to work on the bikes as needed..start them up...or just to admire them.
Winterizing tools:
Full tank
Fuel stabilizer
Battery tenders
Bike stands
TLC

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I would make sure the wheels are off the ground. Run it once a week if you can. If the temps get to 20 or below for more than a week at a time, put a battery tender on it if you don't run it.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
@Dingo lives in California, he had to google what 20* F was.... lol

Reactions: telperion

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Although that's hilarious, I'm jealous of Dingo's California weather. As of today, my bikes are now snowed-into hibernation.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
As previously mentioned... tires off the ground, battery tender, and fuel stabilizer are the three biggies. I don't run mine at all through the winter and I personally don't think it's necessary when using a tender, but they say you should make sure and run it up to operating temp if you do.

·
Registered
892 Posts
...they say you should make sure and run it up to operating temp if you do.
Indeed. Otherwise, something something condensation.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I spent the first 34 years of my life in New York @Kevin.H - been thru 2 tornadoes and several lightning, ice and snow storms - the extent of my "winterizing" was just what I wrote, ride it once a week even if it's 30 out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts