Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so no traction with Tuneboy which is a shame because they're local.
However!! I noticed Woolich racing had just done a 1199 Duc, and the 1299. I used their pro-tools package on my 2014 ZX10R and it was excellent, the software and options were second to none. I reached out and asked if the 959 was under development. They've not yet had their hands on a 959 so I came to a deal with them and shipped my ECU off to them today to get a read out and integrate into their software.

Have a look at what's on offer for the 1199/1299 here

I'll keep the forum updated if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So yours will technically be the first one ! That's pretty cool, I'm sure you'll be getting some sort of incentive or "special" pricing ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yours will technically be the first one ! That's pretty cool, I'm sure you'll be getting some sort of incentive or "special" pricing ?
Fingers crossed!

Quick update for anyone interested:

ECU read out was successful. They've also just completed an ECU readout of the US spec via they USA agent.

In the first release...
IAP Fuel Maps
TPS Fuel Maps
Electronic Throttle Valve Maps
Ignition Timing Maps
Adjust RPM Limiters
Adjust Fan Temperature
Disable Stock O2 Sensor
Disable Fuel Cut
Disable PAIR Valve
Disable Exhaust Valve
Woolich Racing AutoTune
Real Time Engine Data

Coming soon
Cruise control
EVAP Canister purge valve disable

So, for me, I've used their product on my 2014 ZX10R and am planning on the following...

- Disable exhaust butterfly servo (locks open the exhaust valve via the ECU)
- Disable fuel cut on deceleration (smooths out on-off throttle transitions, especially at high rpm)
- Disable PAIR Valve (better known as the secondary air injection system, another emissions control where a value allows oneway flow of air into the exhaust system to combust any fuel vapour. From experience this lowers the operating temp of the bike a little which isn't a bad thing. If you DON'T disable the PAIR valve but disable fuel cut on deceleration, you'll get a bit of backfiring on the overrun -some people like this, I don't)

- Disable factory 02 sensors (stops the bike trying to compensate any tuning)
- Remove the said OEM 02 sensors, replace with the wide band sensors that plug into autotune.
- Enable data logging, get a few rides under my belt, check and apply the autotune fuelling recommendations to tune to the above changes. Next up check the air/fuel ratio and depending what I find, I'll slow start moving autotune gradually to target around 13.2

End result (hopefully) a smoother power curve, with smoother throttle transitions, with a good gain through the whole rev range. I would reasonably expect more power than the Arkro + upmap given that and so far as I know does away with the exhaust servo but still retains the catalytic converters inside but will likely be still aimed towards a somewhat economic AFR.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
this all sounds Great @Bradley, but we would have to see the dyno prints of stock, and then after any work was done in order to confirm the mods! >:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this all sounds Great @Bradley , but we would have to see the dyno prints of stock, and then after any work was done in order to confirm the mods! >:)
Fair point. I'm in two minds about that. I'm confident playing around with auto-tune and the mods listed (I steer clear from ignition maps). This isn't my first time around block and to that end, I'm more than confident I'll get a tangible improvement out of the bike, but am I willing to pay to quantify that improvement ...not really. Forums will argue the other way but that's because people like to see graphs.

Funnily enough, find me a dyno of the 959 with the Akra system and up-maps?!? I think we all know the reason Ducati doesn't publish the graphs and just spins the '7% increase in torque and power'.

That all said, I still may yet take it to a Dyno tuner rather than autotune... I'm not 100% sure yet.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you @Bradley, in that I don't need to see a piece of paper to prove I've made a positive improvement that I can feel. With that said however, I love having concrete proof and exact numbers that state what the bike does. The shop that works on my bike has their own dyno and I'm the first customer with a 959 they have. I'm going to try and get stock baseline soon...

·
Registered
42 Posts
This isn't my first time around block and to that end, I'm more than confident I'll get a tangible improvement out of the bike, but am I willing to pay to quantify that improvement ...not really. Forums will argue the other way but that's because people like to see graphs.
Agreed.
I've only tuned/adjusted carb bikes until now. It's more time consuming re jetting carbs than adjusting injector times, that's for sure.

I have tuned fuel and timing on an injected Land Rover V8 (Megasquirt ECU) and also LS1 Commodore (EFILive) that I rebuilt though. No dyno. Just tuning on the road while paying attention to wideband and knock sensor logs, and listening for tyre squeal :)

The Woolich packages interest me, so I am looking forward to your updates.
I have been keeping an eye on Tuneboy, but see nothing happening for the 959.

I have also read up on the Rapidbike option. I have some doubts about getting the best out of the bike by only tuning according to narrowband input. I've tried tuning with narrowband on my Landrover before buying wideband, and it was not that easy or great. I reckon the fuel saving alone when tuning with wideband (due to WAY less driving around/logging/adjusting) made wideband worth it. I never did get the narrow band tune, with many hours invested, any where near as good as the tune was after a single wideband run.

Does the Woolich software allow resetting of the Service/Desmo lights?

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
This sounds awesome! Way to make some headway with a tuner and further out platform. I'm very interested in the tuning / config options and the tentative cruise control is icing on the cake.

How much does a complete tuning package usually run?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agreed.
I've only tuned/adjusted carb bikes until now. It's more time consuming re jetting carbs than adjusting injector times, that's for sure.

I have tuned fuel and timing on an injected Land Rover V8 (Megasquirt ECU) and also LS1 Commodore (EFILive) that I rebuilt though. No dyno. Just tuning on the road while paying attention to wideband and knock sensor logs, and listening for tyre squeal :)

The Woolich packages interest me, so I am looking forward to your updates.
I have been keeping an eye on Tuneboy, but see nothing happening for the 959.

I have also read up on the Rapidbike option. I have some doubts about getting the best out of the bike by only tuning according to narrowband input. I've tried tuning with narrowband on my Landrover before buying wideband, and it was not that easy or great. I reckon the fuel saving alone when tuning with wideband (due to WAY less driving around/logging/adjusting) made wideband worth it. I never did get the narrow band tune, with many hours invested, any where near as good as the tune was after a single wideband run.

Does the Woolich software allow resetting of the Service/Desmo lights?

Narrow band sensor is best for tunning the low down fueling (Ie: the putt-putt-putt issue around 30-40kph around town)
Then swap to a wide band to tune rest of range.

Rapid bike is a good system, more so for a DIY install "set and forget"
But the base map on which the auto-tune is set to is very conservative, more so than TB or Woolich base tunes (if you dont dyno tune)
TB help develop Woolich system anyway.

Woolich does re-set on other branded bikes. Have you emailed them? you will get a reply sooner than TB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts